Monday, October 29, 2012

Literature Analysis

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
 
1. Briefly summarize the plot of the novel you read.


Wuthering Heights is your typical love story. (It somewhat reminds me of Like Water for Chocolates) The two lovers are Heathcliff and Catherine. This story, unlike many others is about forbidden love. Heathcliff was adopted by the Earnshaw family when he was seven years old. Catherine ends up complicating her relationship with Heathcliff by becoming extremely infatuated with a man named Edgar. Catherine wanted to rise up her social status, and by wanting this, it means she must give up her true love. While Catherine is married to Edgar, Heathcliff leaves Wuthering Heights and becomes rich, and an educated man. He has risen up in his adopted family. Heathcliff comes back to seek revenge among those who had did him wrong. (He was a servant for some time) However, while Heathcliff is seeking revenge, he forgets about the reason why he rose up in the social ladder. Not only to prove those who have belitted him, but to have a chance with his true love, Unfortunately, Catherine ends up dying before Heathcliff ever had a chance to be with her. They are only reunited once he dies too.


2. Succinctly describe the theme of the novel. Avoid cliches.The theme of Wuthering Heights is the power of an undying love and revenge. The forbidden love between two people can cause anyone to do anything. Love creates problems, yet lessons to be learned. On the other hand, sometimes love is not enough. Catherine was in love with Hathcliff but chose to marry another because her social status was more important. Heathcliff undying love causes him to seek revenge on those who didn't believe in him. Society cannot judge one by appearance, or job, because they can rise above what they seem to be. Love and revenge can be tied together. Love makes people go crazy. They say "love is blind" but Heathcliff was so focus on revenge, he was blind to see that he was losing his true love.

 
3. Describe the author's tone. Include 3 excerpts that illustrate your point.
The author's tone is passionate, yet grim. Wuthering Heights is considered a Gothic novel. So, it is dark and eerie.


“If he loved you with all the power of his soul for a whole lifetime, he couldn’t love you as
much as I do in a single day."


"He shall never know i love him: and that, not because he's handsome, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made out of, his and mine are the same."



"
Well, if I cannot keep Heathcliff for my friend--if Edgar will be mean and jealous, I'll try to break their hearts by breaking my own. That will be a prompt way of finishing all, when I am pushed to extremity!"

4.Describe 5 literary techniques/elements you observed that strengthened your understanding of the theme and/or your sense of the tone. Include 3 excerpts that will help your reader understand each one.In Wuthering Heights, I observed certain techniques that helped me understand the theme/sense of the story which were: diction, tone, symbolism, repition, and imagery. The diction the author uses creates a great sense of imagery. I can visualize many scenes, and play a little movie in my head. The novel had a constant emphasis on settings, which created a symbolic vibe. Since the novel is Gothic, the weather was very melancholy. The whole novel was gloomy and considered dark, which created mystery and made the audience reveal different moods. The author had many repetition. This helped with the symbolism. Bad things from the past continued to repeat themselves in the story, and the time was running in cycles. Each element helped one another make the novel stronger and more understanding.
 
"Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living. You said I killed you--haunt me then. The murdered do haunt their murderers. I believe--I know that ghosts have wandered the earth. Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad. Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! It is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"
 
"I care nothing in comparison with papa. And I'll never -- never--oh, never while I have my senses, do an act or say a word to vex him. I love him better than myself, Ellen; and I know it by this: I pray every night that I may live after him; because I would rather be miserable than that he should be: that proves I love him better than myself."
 
"My great miseries in this world have been Heathcliff's miseries, and I watched and felt each from the beginning: my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it."
 
 
CHARACTERIZATION

 
1. Describe two examples of direct characterization and two examples of indirect characterization. Why does the author use both approaches, and to what end (i.e., what is your lasting impression of the character as a result)?

 
The author uses indirect characterization a lot because there is a lot of dialogue. My lasting impression of each character is very typical. I feel like I've met certain these characters, or at least read about them somewhere.

 
2. Does the author's syntax and/or diction change when s/he focuses on character? How? Example(s)?

 
The author doesn't really change the syntax and/or diction when she focuses on a character because the whole book is a gothic novel.  Each character has the same passion for another.
"Kiss me again, but don't let me see your eyes! I forgive what you have done to me. I love my murderer--but yours! How can I?"
 
3. Is the protagonist static or dynamic? Flat or round? Explain.
 
There isn't really a protagonist. But Heathcliff is a round character because he changes throughout the whole novel.
 
4. After reading the book did you come away feeling like you'd met a person or read a character? Analyze one textual example that illustrates your reaction.
 
I have felt like I've met these characters. Especially since we are reading Hamlet!

7 comments:

  1. This book is very ironic considering what we've been talking about lately! its a great analysis I would just say try and explain the quotes so that the reader understands why you chose them.
    this is too cute..."He shall never know i love him: and that, not because he's handsome, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made out of, his and mine are the same."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, I think I want to read this for next literary analysis! This book sounds really interesting! nice job on using many quotes from the book and it is nicely descriptive :) Oh, you forgot to do the characterization part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written analysis, it shows that you put a lot of thought and effort into it. Keep up the good work (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. great job! the descriptions you gave were thorough and well though out! I can tell you took your time with this assgnment and did your veery best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good job! Wuthering Heights was my first literature analysis so I know a lot of the info you put and this is very informative. Very good use of quotes and good examples ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great examples and nice diction. You put effort into this and I liked how you were able to get to the point on each thing.

    ReplyDelete