Monday, November 12, 2012

Literature Analysis

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

 
1. Briefly summarize the plot of the novel you read.
The story's setting is very important to the theme because it takes place in the 1920's and in the south. The title has the name Invisible Man because the narrator is a young black guy who is "invisible" because people don't pay attention to him, even though he is physically there. This young man achieves a scholarship to a black college, and is invited to give a speech. Also, he has a job to become a driver for a wealthy white man, Mr. Norton. Over a series of events, the narrator travels to Harlem to get a job. Eventually, he meets a man who gives him a low paying job at a paint shop where the create "Optic White" paint. Over a dispute with a co-worker, the pain explodes, and knocks the narrator unconscious, which gives him memory loss and loss of speech. A woman named Mary meets the narrator and teaches him about his black heritage. Whilte giving a speech, Brother Jack overhears and wants the narrator to become a spokesperson for the Brotherhood. "Brotherhood is an organization that helps the socially oppressed." Because of his speeches, the narrator becomes an important figure in the group, which his brothers look up upon. A member of the Brotherhood, Clifton is how by a polic officer because of selling Sambo dolls without a permit, so the narrator holds a funeral. However, the Brotherhood is mad that the narrator held the funeral for Clifton. They intend to beat up the narrator, yet the narrator finds out so he disguises himself. The narrator is mistaken for another person. Later, a call from Harlem tells the narrator to come back. When the narrator returns, there is a full-blown riot, and he sets a building on fire. The narrator flees the scene because the police intend to kill him. The narrator ends up falling into a manhole, and the police surround the manhole, trapping him underground. The narrator tells the readers he has stayed underground since that day, and he now ready to come out because he stayed true to himself and told his story.

*The narrator never tells his name.*
 
2. Succinctly describe the theme of the novel. Avoid cliches.A major theme in this novel is racism and how hard it is to stay true to yourself. Even in today's society, racism is a big issue and has to be dealt with everyday. It's harsh, yet we don't live in a perfect way, and there are people out there who cannot deal with an individual or a group of individual's because of the color or their skin. Even though the narrator has been dealt with many events, he always stayed true to himself, no matter what.

3. Describe the author's tone. Include 3 excerpts that illustrate your point.Tone: The tone is both bitter, yet hopeful at some points of the book. However, the narrator is never giving up, and even though he is sick of racisim, yet he never gives up hope.
“What and how much had I lost by trying to do only what was expected of me instead of what I myself had wished to do?” 

“Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in face of certain defeat.”

“I was never more hated than when I tried to be honest. Or when, even as just now I've tried to articulate exactly what I felt to be the truth. No one was satisfied” 


4. Describe 5 literary techniques/elements you observed that strengthened your understanding of the theme and/or your sense of the tone. Include 3 excerpts that will help your reader understand each one.The setting and time period is extremely important because it helps understand what the narrator background is like. The diction and figurative language helps the understanding of the book because it's very inspirational and helps you understand the author. The characterization goes with the setting and time period, because it explains how people used to be back in that time.

“I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me. Like the bodiless heads you see sometimes in circus sideshows, it is as though I have been surrounded by mirrors of hard, distorting glass. When they approach me they see only my surroundings, themselves or figments of their imagination, indeed, everything and anything except me.” 

“For, like almost everyone else in our country, I started out with my share of optimism. I believed in hard work and progress and action, but now, after first being 'for' society and then 'against' it, I assign myself no rank or any limit, and such an attitude is very much against the trend of the times. But my world has become one of infinite possibilities. What a phrase - still it's a good phrase and a good view of life, and a man shouldn't accept any other; that much I've learned underground. Until some gang succeeds in putting the world in a strait jacket, its definition is possibility.” 

“I feel the need to reaffirm all of it, the whole unhappy territory and all the things loved and unloveable in it, for it is all part of me.” 

“Man's hope can paint a purple picture, can transform a soaring vulture into a noble eagle or moaning dove.” 

“America is woven of many strands. I would recognise them and let it so remain. Our fate is to become one, and yet many.”
 
CHARACTERIZATION

1. Describe two examples of direct characterization and two examples of indirect characterization. Why does the author use both approaches, and to what end (i.e., what is your lasting impression of the character as a result)?The narrator expresses only his thoughts in the whole story, so the characterization is always indirect.
2. Does the author's syntax and/or diction change when s/he focuses on character? How? Example(s)?The syntax and/or diction doesn't change when he focuses on the character because the narrator is speaking through his own thoughts and opinions. “And the mind that has conceived a plan of living must never lose sight of the chaos against which that pattern was conceived. That goes for societies as well as for individuals.” 
3. Is the protagonist static or dynamic? Flat or round? Explain.
The narrator doesn't really change in the story because he stays true to himself. He is a round character because he has so many different qualities and he always has hope for a better tomorrow.
4.   After reading the book did you come away feeling like you'd met a person or read a character? Analyze one textual example that illustrates your reaction.
After reading the book, I felt like I've read about this character more than once. Especially, in history class. The narrator has so much hope and bravery.

“I was pulled this way and that for longer than I can remember. And my problem was that I always tried to go in everyone's way but my own. I have also been called one thing and then another while no one really wished to hear what I called myself. So after years of trying to adopt the opinions of others I finally rebelled. I am an invisible man.”
 

5 comments:

  1. Well isn't that ironic "The narrator never tells his name," and its called Invisible Man! Good analysis it was a nice brief summary but I can tell you understood what you were reading plus great examples. Good job Licia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good job:) you understood the novel and articulated urself well. you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to read this book but someone told me that this book is boring.. But it doesn't sound boring at all! :) I love the ironic part "the narrator never tells his name" haha Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh Katelyn is right about his name!! That is a good observation Katelyn!! Alicia: I like your answer for characterization number two. I am glad to hear that he stays true to himself(: Also, don't forget to use page numbers for the textual quotes you use. You actually selected the book I was thinking of reading. It seems like I would have made the right choice. Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Job. This analysis gives me a great idea on what the book is about and you have great examples as well.

    ReplyDelete