Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Hamlet Essay

Hamlet is a young, smart man who, out of anger and spite, wants revenge. His biggest problem is dealing with the emotional drama. Hamlet over analyzes his situations to te highest; he constatntly has death on his mind that is proven by his soliloquies. Throughout the play, Hamlet goes back and forth with his options, until his mind finally becomes exhausted. This is a method of performance utterance and self-overhearing. Being the main character, creates the main idea of focusing on Hamlet's growth, and reveals how he does, or doesn't go through with the decisions he has made, in his mind. Whenever Hamlet speaks, it has a great impact not only to the audience, but to those around him. In the matter of life, along with Hamlet is self-overhearing, which can create destruction not only to those around us, but to ourselves. Mostly everyone over analyzes their thoughts, and puts them into theories, with or without any logical explanation. However, in order to create a new life, mentally and physically, one must talk things though to one's actions and to provide reasons on one's decisions.

Hamlet lets his emotions have great impact in his decisions. He is constantly deciding how he would get to plan A to plan C. Hamlet is desperate for revenge, because he feels he would stop being torn with his feelings. Hamlet reveals his thoughts on the subject of suicide to muder and what he must to to reach a stable place of mind. Throughout his use of performative utterances, Hamlet realized how greatly his words are influential, and powerful. Hamlet became aware on his words reflect on those around him, and creates consequences for them, like Ophelia. By Hamlet's words, he sets life-changing goals on what he feel is just, however, doesn't conquer them right away due to his mind being all over the place. Hamlet learns the most when he talking to himself, soliloquies, because it gives him epiphanies. Shakespeare made Hamlet's thought so significant, because without them, the plot would be a flat portrayal of life, and Hamlet would be a mystery. Hamlet's conversations to himself creates suspense, and second guessing on how he feels, not only towards Claudius, but to himself. Performative utterance provides Hamlet ways to speak, and to display his actions, no matter what others might say.

Everyone has that little, annoying voice in their head, telling them when it's a good idea or a bad idea. This little voice can make your stomach hurt if you are doing the wrong thing. (Or maybe that's just me.) Conscience can and will make you feel horrible, only if you are messing up. However, when you are doing the right thing, you feel amazing. Hamlet uses his theory of self-overhearing against his original plans. He breaks them down to a thread. Hamlet uses the excuse through contemplation because he is over analyzing his thoughts and soon-to-be actions. Although I am very determined in my goals, I can't just say I'm going to do something, I must actually do it. The more I say I'm going to this and that, I most likely won't. I must actually get what I need, and just start doing it. Self-overhearing can destory my mind set because I create such high expections that can easily be let down, by my lack of motivation to do what I have to do. When I'm talking about tasks I need to follow through on, it ends up not happening because talk is cheap. I must push myself, physically and mentally. When I compare my work to others, I find it to be encouraging to better myself, and establish a better system for my work. Life is somewhat of a competition and is a great motivation, when you are being compared because you are thriving to be better and successful. Self-overhearing will either help you or hurt you, by providing self-help or self-destruction.

Hamlet was a crazy and a depressed teenager, in the beginning, who thought by making rash decisions on a fatal action, it can be accomplished with enough anger and motivation. By his soliloquies and perfomative utterance, Hamlet was wishy-washy by not understanding his own words. Eventually with time, Hamlet realizes that words are just words. "Actions speak louder than words." (Unknown) Hamlet's actions will not be accomplished just by saying he will do something, he must actually take on his action by hand. Hamlet's self-overhearing contributes to his thoughts, and his action, and drives a person crazy with true intentions, by what they say. Since the audience is allowed to listen to Hamlet's thoughts, we understand how his words are influential, and we must question his true intentions. All in all, words do not mean anything, unless those words are proven true by action. "Actions speak louder than words", is true only if the motivation is behind it.



Thoughts, suggestions? This is only my first draft, so there are many mistakes. Also, I need some big ideas on how I should improve my diction. Please and thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment